Sunday, November 1, 2009

What's the big deal about agility?

I don't get it.  I'm not trying to 'dis' it or people who like it and the place I go to to train for Rally-O is really neat.  But ..... owners of dogs I meet are wild about agility.  Seems a bit silly to me and I might actually hurt my royal TT self on a teeter totter or get scared in a tunnel.  I hear that people are so into it that they are willing to stay up late to take an advanced agility class at 9:30 PM at a special training place because they like it so much.  As for me, I would rather be in my comfy bed bed.  In my current Rally class, there is an X-fence barrier between our class and the agility class.  I can see and hear everything!  The excitement of every Monday evening comes when 2 Jack Russell Terriers go after one another in the agility ring, of course, and chaos erupts.  Then all us dogs go nuts in both rings, barking, lunging, and looking to see where the excitement is.  Sadly for me and my entertainment, the excitable dogs end up being crated and I'm the only one left excited .... in Rally-O .... where nothing exciting ever happens and my mom is ever hopeful that she will not get confused by the signs and that I will pay attention to her (giant sigh, here.)



My first experience with agility showed that I have absolutely NO aptitude for it.  Even though I look FAB in the photos above, if you want the REAL story, just look at my YouTube of it:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIlDfTU5sjk.  As you can see, I was much more interested in trolling the ground for treats, didn't much like the curved tunnel (or whatever they call it .... and they think I'm going to go into on FAITH ALONE?), but found an absolute fascination with the marker cones.  If all agility expectations were to grab the marker cones, I would be an immediate qualifier and have won all the advanced awards there are.




Alas, I am not nor probably ever will be.  But that doesn't mean I'm not extremely cute when I actually will try things.  If you don't believe it, just look at the picture of me above on the A-frame and jumping over a barrier.  Then look at my specialty:  Running away with a cone while the instructors and my mom played the "chase" game with me.  I almost won.

No comments:

Post a Comment